By Lesley Chihwata
Two teenage girls from Mbizo on Sunday afternoon died on suspicion of an overdose of codeine pills commonly known as ‘mangemba.’
The two Anesu Tizirai (19) and Charmaine Mthande (18) who had gone for an outing at Eco Park with six of their friends are suspected to have taken an overdose of the pills.
The two teenagers Tizirai who was from Mbizo 13 Mthande from Mbizo 20 were buried this week at Mbizo 10 Cemetery.
While Midlands Provincial Police Spokesperson Joel Goko said he was yet to get information on the deaths, relatives and sources told The Midlands Observer confirmed the tragedy.
Gloria Tizirai a grandmother to the deceased said justice must be served for her deceased granddaughter.
“I am heartbroken that my granddaughter had to die in that manner. I want justice to be served so that I can get closure. Whoever is responsible for drugging my granddaughter and her friend must face justice,” she said.
The matter is currently under police investigation.
This publication also made an effort to get a comment from Charmaine`s parents although the effort proved fruitless as they were not available.
One of the security personnel at Eco Park confirmed the tragedy to this publication.
“I was on my afternoon shift when four boys came up running at me calling for help that two of the girls they had come with were lying unconscious. After we rushed to the scene it was too late as the girls had passed away, after questioning the boys what they had given the small girls that is when they admitted to giving the girls Codeine pills,” said the Security Guard.
An ambulance was called and the bodies were ferried to Kwekwe General Hospital.
The Midlands Observer is yet to get postmortem results to ascertain the actual cause of the girl’s deaths.
These pills are known as medical drugs prescribed for reducing pain and also for the mentally unstable patients, which then make the patients stable.